How to teach online or how to start online coaching has become a widely searched question for teachers, instructors, and coaches.
According to GlobeNewswire, the massive open online course (MOOC) market could be worth $25.33 billion by 2025.
Today, all you need is an internet connection to do so.
Key benefits of Online coaching:
- Increased flexibility of time and location
- Effective communication channels
- Global presence
- Freedom of choosing Individual or group coaching
- Low start-up cost
- Low overheads
- Minimal investment risk
- Easy to promote and market your business
How to Teach Online Classes/Sessions on Zoom in Three Steps
Here is a quick overview of how you can set up a robust and interactive remote class environment in four steps:
Step 1. Set Up A WordPress Website
If you have a website, chances are you might be already using WordPress. If not, you can build a WordPress website for your coaching business quite quickly.
You need the following to create your website:
- Register domain name
- Get website hosting
- Install WordPress
If you need help building your WordPress website, you can get in touch with us, and we will be happy to set you up in no time with your own website. Also, You can check the inspiration for coaching websites here.
Step 2. Install LearnDash Plugin
LearnDash is a flexible and powerful learning management system. Moreover, you can easily sell and manage your online courses on a self-hosted platform that you own and control.
Do you know, that there are more than 700 learning management systems available on the market?
So, the one key difference between LearnDash and other LMS is that LearnDash is a plugin for the content management system (CMS) WordPress. It is not a standalone solution like other LMS.
Paradiso LMS is categorized as Healthcare LMS whereas LearnDash is categorized as Online Learning Platform and Learning Management System (LMS). You can easily add content using LearnDash
Tovuti is all-in-one eLearning software platform but it takes a good length of time to master and the price is on the higher side compared to similar products.
Google Classroom is a cloud-based learning management system but is not very user-friendly. LearnDash gives the interface with much better design and aesthetic. This makes it easier to navigate and it helps make LearnDash more user friendly.
Easy LMS is an intuitive and easy-to-distribute learning management system and a one of a kind solution for organizations but the platform is complex and takes a bit to figure out how to use it also the features are so limited.
Adobe Captivate Prime
Adobe captivate prime is used by commercial organizations with focus on learning but you are not able to assign training to employees without an email also the instructor menu you cannot sort the list by any means.
You can do integrations with learndash following steps.
Step 1: Log in to your WordPress admin panel
Step 2: Go to plugins > add new
Search for the LearnDash plugin.
Step 3: Install the LearnDash plugin
WordPress will now download and install the plugin for you.
Step 4: Activate it
If you have not yet purchased the plugin, you can also do that directly from the LearnDash website.
You can download the file from your account page on LearnDash and then upload the zipped file on your WordPress.
Once the plugin is installed and activated, you will notice a LearnDash LMS menu in your dashboard.
As you can see, you can use LearnDash to create lessons, topics, quizzes, certificates, assignments, etc. Above all, LearnDash is the most trusted WordPress LMS used for e-Learning websites.
Step 3. How to Teach Online Classes Using Zoom
After setting up LMS, you can create course pages, lessons or quizzes as per your requirements.
Once you have your course all ready and set up on your website. You can use Zoom to teach online classroom, and students can complete the quizzes, submit assignments, and maintain their course history on your website. This is very effective for online teachers.
Zoom, a web-based video conferencing tool, allows users to meet online, with or without video. You don’t need an account to attend a Zoom meeting, and the platform is compatible with all devices.
Features of Zoom
- Easy to set up: Zoom is really easy to set up. It provides easy collaboration and participant controls. In short, you don’t need an IT team to roll out and manage Zoom.
- Modern communication: You can communicate with all students at once and also can have an individual interactions. Its HD video and audio deliver even in low-bandwidth environments.
- Multitasker: Zoom is a single solution for meetings, webinars, phone, and chat. Also, no need to use different tools for performing different activities.
- Reliability: Zoom’s connection quality is more reliable than its rivals. You will never face any kind of issue while using zoom.
- Video Recording: Moreover, if you want to record specific segments of a lesson, the recording software can be turned on and off as many times, and each one will be saved individually.
Following is the comparison of Zoom with other conferencing software.
In cisco webex, you can do multimedia content sharing, local recording, host controls toll-free dial-In.
Microsoft Teams is excellent for internal collaboration only.
Skype is better for teams looking for a holistic business solution. It is known to freeze up because of its poor services.
BlueJeans is more common among enterprises. In contrast, Zoom is a reliable option regardless of company size when collaboration is a key facet of users’ web conferencing.
Only bouns point of GoToMeeting is -it has excellent transcription capabilities. Moreover, Zoom has all of the features that you will need and it allows you to share to more calendar solutions than GoToMeeting.
For this, you will need to set up your zoom account if you don’t have one already. You can do that by going to the Zoom website and clicking on the signup button.
You can sign up to zoom using:
- Sign up with single sign-on (SSO)
- link up with Gmail
- Sign up Facebook
Teaching Live Class Using Zoom
Zoom allows you to schedule meetings at your preferred time, and you can email the meeting link for your students to join the class in advance.
Step 1. Open your Zoom application and click on schedule.
Step 2. You’ll find plenty of meeting customization when it comes to scheduling your class using Zoom. You can choose your preferred meeting settings and click on schedule to set up your class.
Step 3: Go live using Zoom at the scheduled class time. Once you are live, your students can join your class using the meeting link you have already emailed.
Don’t forget to start your online class by going into the meetings tab in your Zoom application, as shown in the screenshot below, instead of starting a new meeting.
Handy Zoom Features to Run Your Class Smoothly
Remote teaching can be challenging at the start, but if you are willing to learn new things, it can be really fun and more productive than a face to face class.
- Share Your Screen While Teaching Online Classes
- Use your screen instead of a whiteboard
- Share PowerPoint or Google slides
- Watch a YouTube video with your students while sharing a screen
- Zoom Whiteboard Annotation
- Raise Your Hand
- Mute/Allow speaking
- Record your class
Integrating Zoom with your WordPress Website to Teach Online
There are many plugins available today to help you integrate Zoom with your WordPress website.
Following are a few important ones.
Video Conferencing with Zoom uses the Zoom API to deliver a fully-integrated experience. With the help of this plugin, you can manage your Zoom meetings directly from your WordPress dashboard.
Features of this plugin:
- Allows you to import your Zoom meetings into your WordPress dashboard
- Display user recordings based on their Zoom accounts
- Allows you to Embed videos using a shortcode
The eRoom plugin can manage your Zoom meetings, and users from an admin area integrated into your WordPress dashboard. After activating this plugin, you’ll be able to add Zoom content to any page, post, or custom post type using a shortcode.
Features of this plugin:
- Add meetings to any WordPress page using the provided shortcode
- Restrict access to your content
- Manage all of your meetings from the admin panel
- Provides Zoom performance and engagement reports
The Events Calendar is a complete event management solution, and it’s not just for Zoom. This plugin supports a wide range of different event types out-of-the-box, but you can extend it to support Zoom events by purchasing the Virtual Events add-on.
After activating it, you’ll be able to generate and manage your Zoom links directly from the WordPress dashboard.
- Connect Zoom accounts (multiple) to your WordPress
- Help visitors discover upcoming Zoom events by highlighting them on your calendar
- Embed your videos directly on your WordPress website
- Sell tickets to your Zoom meetings using the Events Tickets plugin
Amelia is a popular appointment booking system. This plugin is perfect for appointment-based businesses, such as restaurants, hotels, and dentists. Again, this is not Zoom specific but can be used for this purpose.
- Display your events in a fully-responsive calendar
- Create custom booking forms
- Sync the plugin with Google Calendar or Outlook Calendar event
- Learndash Zoom integration
Events Manager is a well-known event registration plugin for WordPress. However, it also offers a convenient Zoom Integration that connects Events Manager to your Zoom account.
- Adjust all of your Zoom event settings directly from the event editor
- Filter event types by Webinar, Meeting, or Rooms etc
- Restrict access to your events via a permissions-based system
- Monetize your Zoom events
How to integrate Zoom using Video Conferencing with Zoom
Video Conferencing with Zoom plugin is most effective for coaching businesses due to its simplicity. Other plugins also provide zoom integration options, but they have so many other features that make them complicated to use.
It uses Zoom API integration. Once you have activated this plugin, you can manage your meetings directly from your WordPress Dashboard. It also gives you the option to integrate with WooCommerce to monetize your zoom content.
Video Conferencing with Zoom is also ideal for anyone with a stack of recorded material they want to monetize.
Getting Started with Integration
GENERATING API KEY AND SECRET
For this plugin, you’ll be using the JWT token method to make the API connection. This method is only account level connection.
1. First go to https://marketplace.zoom.us/develop/create
2. Click add on Develop on top of the page and build app page if you directly did not go into https://marketplace.zoom.us/develop/create page
3. Click JWT and “Create.”
4. Click Create
5. On the next screen, you should see Information, App Credentials, Feature and Activation menus
6. Fill in your basic information about the App.
7. On the Credentials Page. Copy both API key and API Secret after you have filled in all the details on the information page.
Now, copy these credentials and go into WordPress Zoom Meetings settings page.
Copy and paste it here. You should get API working now.
Using Shortcodes to Add Meetings:
Currently, in Zoom conference WP the only way to insert a created meeting is by using short-codes. For example:
[zoom_api_link meeting_id=” ” link_only=”no”]
Once you have entered your shortcode in any of the pages and set the settings as per your requirements, your zoom meeting will be ready to be used by your users.
Once all of the above is done, this is how it will look on the front-end of your page where you have entered your shortcode for the meeting.
There are multiple add-ons available for this plugin that you can use as per your requirements.
- WooCommerce Integration
- WCFM Integration
- WooCommerce Booking Integration
- Booked Appointments Integration
- WooCommerce Appointments Integration
- Slack integration
List of Features of this plugin:
- Manage your Zoom Meetings and Zoom Webinars.
- Manage Zoom users and Reports.
- Change frontend layouts as per your needs using a template override.
- Join via browser directly without the Zoom App.
- Show User recordings based on Zoom Account.
- Extensive Developer Friendly
- Team member meetings
- Import your Zoom Meetings into your WordPress Dashboard
- Gutenberg Blocks Support
- Elementor Support
- Also compatible with Beaver builder
I hope this post has given you ideas and steps on how to teach online courses using WordPress & Zoom.
Feel free to share your favourite tools to teach online or ask any questions you may have about online coaching in the comments below.
You can also get in touch with us in case you need any help in setting it up.