In this detailed post you’ll learn:
- What is a WordPress website?
- Pros & cons of WordPress
- What do you need to build a WordPress website?
- The average cost of WordPress website
- Why use WordPress website for your online coaching
Let’s get started!
What is a WordPress Website
WordPress is an open-source content management system, which is the most powerful blogging and website content management system in existence today.
It is fully customizable and SEO friendly.
WordPress powers over 60 million websites, or 40.3% of all websites on the internet, and 64.4% of all websites whose content management systems are known.
WordPress is the best CMS for its scalability, extensive features, and ease of use. It is free to use and gives you full control of your site. Moreover, you can design your site into anything you want it to be i-e: a community forum, membership site, social site, or an online coaching site.
Moreover, you can access beautiful, responsive, and fully customizable WordPress themes for initial site design with drag-and-drop functionality.
WordPress also includes a multilingual site by which you can serve clients from diverse backgrounds.
Pros and Cons of WordPress
Gives you full control of your website. You own your content 100%
Responsibility of keeping it secure, taking backups, and installing updates
User friendly content management system and SEO friendly
Basic knowledge of HTML and CSS is required to make best use of WordPress
Thousands of themes and templates to choose from.
Popular target for hackers because of it's popularity
A huge selection of plugins and addons
Some themes contain a lot of unnecessary generic code which can effect the website speed
Almost all popular third-party tools already have integrations with WordPress
Updates may break your website functionalities and if you don't have best practices employed when designing the site, this can become an issue.
The Bionic Turtle is an FRM Study Planner and is the best resource to prepare for the FRM exam. It provides an organized, stress-free planner which is the largest and most diverse collection of FRM study materials.
Bionic Turtle company was paying tens of thousands of dollars each year for its learning management system. Above all, all those leveraging tools were costly, and the experience was not good.
By choosing LearnDash, a WordPress learning management system, Bionic Turtle was able to create an interactive learning experience for a mere fraction of their previous LMS licensing fees.
LearnDash usage results were incredible. The users reached up to 32k with 9 Membership levels and a 73% pass rate. However, with the LearnDash plugin, Bionic Turtle used BadgeOS and WooCommerce plugins.
What Do You Need to Build a WordPress Website
Self-hosted WordPress is the best all-in-one solution for building your online coaching site. WordPress is easy to install and use, and has multiple premium theme options with responsive design.
If you haven’t heard about WordPress or has limited information about, you can check out this detailed post about what is WordPress before you start creating your website.
Promotionalcodes is one of the leading voucher code websites in the UK. Mash-Up Media Limited, registered in England and Wales, owns and operates this company. Julian Hearn, the owner of this company, decided to branch out on his own and start his own business.
Julian Hearn gave himself a six-month ultimatum that should he not succeed in making enough to support himself within that time – he would go back and resume his job as an online marketer. He created Promotionalcodes website with WordPress platform and launched it in June 2008. This company has grown to over 1 million visits per month. Its estimated monthly revenue is $400,000.
Following are the key steps to create a initial website prototype:
- Decide your website name
- Register your domain name
- Buy hosting for your website
- Set up your website using the WordPress
- Get the premium theme and required plugins
- Create required pages and add content
- Add your online course.
- Customize your website if required
- Optimize your website for on-page SEO
After the above basic steps, you’ll be good to launch the first version of your online coaching website to start selling your courses online.
Moreover, you can also check out the WordPress website launch checklist for all the steps involved in a website launch.
Do you know, on average, 63% of top-performing domains have keywords in their URL. So choose it wisely!
Also, there are several companies from which you can choose and register a new domain name. Namecheap is one of the top 3 cheapest domain name registrars. You can get a .com for as low as $8.88 and has sold over 4 million domain names throughout the world.
Moreover, you can also check out our detailed post on how to start an online coaching business to for advanced website improvement ideas.
Average Cost for a WordPress Website
Websites are like cars, you can have it in $10,000 and if you have the extra cash you can spend millions of $$$ easily as well.
Therefore, the actual cost of building and maintaining your website depends on your individual needs and demands.
As a rule of thumb, these are two main factors that affects the actual cost. But, it can vary depending on the complexity of the web pages.
Cheaper Website Option
Cheapest way to build your website with the help of a freelancer:
- Manage your website project yourself
- Pick a premium WordPress theme
- Use plugins out of the box
- Create content yourself
- Self manage your website once completed
If you choose this option, then you can easily get the brochure website done from a freelancer anywhere between $500 – $2000
This is generally a time consuming and mostly output is hard to achieve as desired.
Custom Website Option
Usually following professionals are involved to build a custom website:
- Website project manager
- Website designer to design a custom design
- Plugins customization as per your needs
- Website care plan after launching the website
It is hard to put a price on the custom website without knowing the needs and demands of an individual project. However, usually custom website projects start from at least $5,000.
Also, custom care plan can be anywhere between $49 – $749 a month.
It costs more but if your website is your business, chances of higher ROI are greater.
Why Use WordPress Website for Your Coaching Business
Now, you might be asking yourself, why should I use WordPress for my online coaching website when there are many other website builders available?
Let’s compare WordPress with other best website builders first:
Wix is easier to use but can't beat WordPress when it comes to flexibility. Wix offers 500+ themes and WordPress has over 11,000+ themes.
You are able to customize the design of your Weebly website but can't modify certain features or functions. You can only do what Weebly lets you do. WordPress is more flexible and fully customizable.
Webstarts is bascially build for small businesses and you'll struggle as your business will grow. However, WordPress can handle website for large scale businesses too. WordPress is more flexible and easy to use as compared to Webstarts.
WordPress has built-in blogging platform while in jimdo, you have to integrate the blogging platform. WordPress is free and includes more powerful SEO options while jimdo plan starts with $9 and has average SEO platform.
Webnode plan starts with $13, you have to integrate the blogging platform and buy themes separately. Whereas, WordPress is free, include tons of free themes and has built-in blogging platform.
So here are the few more important reasons why should you choose WordPress for building your online coaching business:
- A popular platform: WordPress is the no. 1 content management tool on the internet. Also, you will get access to the newest and best tools first with the best design options.
- Website customization: As WordPress offers you full control over your website design. Also, you can customize your theme as per your own design requirements.
- Countless functionalities: WordPress includes countless functionalities that make integrating new features and addons super easy. Moreover, you can easily share your blog posts with your social accounts. It also scales well as your business grows.
- Own your content: With self-hosted WordPress, you own your content. Also, you can export or import your content very easily. With other website platforms, like Wix, it isn’t possible to export the content entirely if you ever decide to switch to a different builder.
- Great for search engines: No doubt, SEO always comes first. By default, WordPress has already some excellent built-in SEO features. It also includes many SEO plugins to take care of SEO for your websites like Yoast SEO, The SEO Framework, and many more.
- Two-way communication: Using WordPress, you are no longer restricted to one-way communication with visitors. Moreover, by using blog comments, contact us form, and plugins, which are specially categorized as communication, you can have a two-way discussion between you and website visitors.
- Easy to manage users: Certainly, your website has a variety of contributors, administrators to manage the site. Editors work with content, authors and contributors write that content, and subscribers have a profile that they can manage easily.
- Secured platform: WordPress automatically saves your work as you type. Even if you haven’t published your blog posts live to the web yet. You can also schedule regular backups for keeping your website content secured.
- A Learning curve: No matter you are an expert developer or not, you can easily create your own website using WordPress builder. In addition, basic knowledge of HTML and CSS is enough for building a website.
- Mobile-friendly: You can create a mobile‑friendly site with a click, or choose from a selection of responsive themes that look great everywhere. Above all, there is no need to produce a second website just for mobile users or add any additional add on or plugin for it.
And many more.
They say there are two most valuable online assets. And a self-hosted website/blog is one of them. Second is your email list on which you can have full control.
Therefore, a self-hosted WordPress website gives you the best option to build your online coaching home base quickly and cost-effectively. Also, it has the capability to grow as your business grows.
Do you still have questions about what is a WordPress website and how it can help you build and grow your online coaching business?
If yes, please feel free to ask in the comments below.