This is a complete guide to content development in 2023.
This guide is for you if you’re a content creator looking to develop creative content that ranks.
In this in-depth guide, we’ll cover the following:
- What is content development?
- How to create different types of website content
- Tips for creating website content that ranks
- Best content development tools
- Content promotion services
- Lots more
After going through this article, you’ll have a complete understanding of website content, the best way to create it, content development tools and much more.
So if you’re ready, let’s get started.
What is content development?
Researching, writing, organising and editing content effectively content development in simple terms.
You can categorise website content into the following:
- Social media content
However, there is a slight difference between content and website content.
Website content development
Content that is specifically created for websites is website content development. It includes creating content for the following:
- Service pages
- Landing pages
- Lead generators
- Call to Actions
- Video content
Website content creation is essential for SEO because Google doesn’t rank an entire website; rather, it ranks individual pages and articles.
Tips for creating website content that ranks:
The primary purpose of a website is to generate leads for your business; the best way to achieve that goal is to rank well on search engines.
We have already established that website content is one of the most important factors for SEO. Here are a few tips for creating content that helps you rank on SERPs.
1. Keywords: Before writing any piece of content, research keywords accurately; while doing that, look for a keyword that has:
- Low difficulty level
- High traffic volume
- High CPC
Once you have your keyword sorted, create content around it.
2. Write for your audience: Your website content’s main target should be your audience. One should not miss this critical aspect while creating content. Use simple, easy-to-understand, and less tech-savvy language to get the most out of it.
3. Add media: There is no doubt that a picture speaks a thousand words. Try adding more images, infographics, and videos to your content.
4. Create evergreen content: It is difficult to create content regularly and even more difficult to publish the latest news. Therefore, try to create your best pieces of advice, which are not timebound.
5. Attention-grabbing headlines: The more engaging your headlines are, the better will be the click-through rate of your page.
6. CTAs: For website content, the most important part is incorporating the right call to action at the right place and right time.
7. Use content creation frameworks: A solid framework will help you speed up your content creation, create better content, and help you rank better with a proven strategy.
How to create different types of website content
If your content connects with your audience, the chances of conversion multiply automatically.
Having discussed the importance of website content, let’s go through the best way to create website content for the following:
- Home page
- Service pages
- Blog posts
Your homepage is like your business card. It is the first thing anyone would see if they land on your website.
The more engaging, precise, structured, and intriguing your homepage is, the higher the chances of retaining a visitor.
You only have 0.05 seconds before a user decides to either stay or leave your website.
Here’s how you can create homepage content that stands out and resonates with your audience.
- Minimal navigation (Ideally 3 links)
- Short description of who you are and what you do (Your one-liner)
- Summary of the services/products
- Bulleted list of how you can make your client’s life better
- Stakes of not working with you
- Testimonials or reviews to establish credibility
- A plan (What working with you looks like)
- CTA (Direct and indirect CTA)
If you tick off the following one by one and create content for your homepage, you’ll be off to a decent start.
However, while creating content for your homepage, think and write from the client’s perspective. What they want to know and buy, not what you want them to tell or sell.
Service or product pages are the second most important thing on your website. They represent what you sell and details of the brief you shared on your homepage. The primary purpose of these website pages is to generate sales and not just leads.
You can create a separate landing page for each product or service or just keep one page with different packages.
This will depend on your business type, model, niche and requirements.
However, here’s how you can create an effective service/product page that converts prospects into customers.
- Detailed features of your service
- Benefits of your service
- How it is going to make your customer’s life better
- Reasons to work with you instead of your competitors
- Testimonials and case studies to build authority
- What is at stake if they don’t work with you
- Pricing table/plan
- Process of purchasing/signing up for your service
- Direct CTA
Your service page’s primary focus should be offering the maximum details about your product/service. Keep in mind that people don’t buy features; they buy benefits.
Having a blog that is regularly published, updated, and promoted can do wonders for your website’s SEO. Content has proven to be the most effective SEO strategy thus far.
Since search engines don’t rank entire websites, but pages and keywords, blog posts and articles are the strongest sources to rank for maximum pages and keywords.
Here’s how you can create regular content for your blog:
- Create a blogging calendar and stick to it
- Do accurate keyword research
- Use effective frameworks and outlines
- Write an engaging and precise introduction
- Keep it unique, simple, and easy to understand
- Write consistently
- Focus on your niche
- Do competitors analysis and create a post 10x better
- Give importance to the title, headings, and subheadings
- Use bullet points and make it skimmable
Although blog posts are mostly created for promotional purposes, it is recommended to avoid direct selling of your products or services and rather use this opportunity to build trust, credibility, and authority with your visitors.
Many times words are not enough to convey your point; that’s where images come in. Or sometimes, an image may explain your point better than words.
Apart from this, images come with their own benefits, like making your website visually more appealing, adding life to your website, and helping with SEO. Your website image can win you the click on Google.
While creating images, keep the following best practices in mind:
- The image should be relevant to your content
- It should be aesthetically pleasing and make your website professional
- It should support your content
- The quality of the image should be a priority
- Always add captions to your images
- The quantity of images is also an important factor (Don’t flood your website with images)
You can use various tools to create promising images for your website. Canva is one of the most popular and user-friendly tools that anyone can use.
Video content has gained popularity over the last couple of decades. It may only be a matter of saving calories.
If an article of 3000 words can be explained in a 2-minute long video, the odds are in its favour.
There are many platforms and ways videos are being used today:
These videos can be repurposed and added to your website as well. It is not recommended to upload a video directly to your website; therefore, these channels can come in handy to integrate them into your website without affecting the load time.
The importance of videos can not be ignored in the current age because if you want to learn how to install WordPress, it is highly likely that you would click on the 1-minute video rather than go to the detailed article on the same topic.
Content development tools
Content development tools can help you create better content with more efficiency; they can help you:
- Save time
- Create better quality content
- Automate the process
- Simplify the process
- Help with SEO
These are just the basic benefits of using content development tools. Different tools are available for different types of content.
Let’s take a look at those.
1. Keyword Research
Many tools are available for keyword research nowadays, but here are some of the favourites that we personally use and recommend.
They don’t only help with keyword research, but they provide a comprehensive overview of the scope and potential of those keywords, along with relevant keywords that you could use and much more.
Here’s an example of the details provided by Ahrefs for a keyword.
Most keyword research tools offer the same details and are used for the same purpose, so we’ll not go into the details of each.
There are many tools available that can make your content creation a lot easier.
Google docs are ideal for writing the draft of your articles. It has all the built-in functionalities that you would need in an editor. Other features like word count, adding tables, images, charts, and other options are also available.
Once you have your draft ready, you can copy-paste it to your website. Furthermore, it can share and collaborate with others, easy comments, suggestions, and reaction options.
Moreover, you can work offline and save the document in many formats, including PDF.
Once you have your draft ready, Grammarly is an excellent tool for you to proofread and improve your content. Key features of Grammarly are:
- Grammar check
- Spelling and punctuation check
- Plagiarism detection
- Vocabulary enhancement suggestions
- Tone detector
- Suggests improvements
- Word choice
- And much more
Hemingway App is another writing and editing app that mainly helps you improve the readability of your content. It offers the following features:
- Highlights complex sentences
- Suggestions to use shorter words
- Use better adverbs and stronger words
- Highlights passive voice
The following tools can help you with the graphics of your website:
Undraw and Unsplash are free open-source image platforms where you can find and use images for your website’s content without getting into any legalities.
While Canva is a complete graphics platform, you can use the templates, customise them, or make your own images/videos.
Yoast is one of the best plugins for on-page SEO. It guides you at every step and helps make on-page SEO as easy as possible.
Google Search Console can analyse and track your traffic, website rank, position, top pages, keywords, and so on. It can help with determining your off-page and technical SEO by letting you know how your website is performing.
Content promotion services
Once you have created amazing content for your website, all there is left to do is promote it. Content promotion is considered to be one of the most integral parts of any business and any type of content.
There are hundreds of other businesses offering the same products or services as you are; therefore, you need to make sure that you stand out from the crowd. You have already done so by creating exemplary content, but now it’s time to promote it.
Here are a few tried and tested ways to promote your content:
Social media promotion
According to research, people spend almost 2 hours and 24 minutes daily on social media.
If you target the right audience at the right time and on the right platforms, social media can be your website’s most effective content promotion channel.
There are two forms of email marketing. Cold email outreach, although it seems far-fetched, yet has been successful and still continues to be so.
On the other hand, email marketing also refers to your email subscribers. These are those prospects genuinely interested in your offer, and therefore, the chances of conversion are pretty high.
Content promotion services
On the internet, multiple content promotion services are available, both free and paid.
There are multiple sites and directories where you can register for free and promote your content.
Similarly, there are multiple paid services where you can sponsor your content to get traffic. This includes Google and Facebook ads as well.
I hope this comprehensive guide to website content development will help you create better content to help you:
- Rank better on SERPs
- Get more visibility
- Drive relevant traffic to your website
If you need help with creating content for your website, you can check out our content creation services.
Or leave a comment below if you have any questions.